Tuesday, February 19, 2013

miracle for Jen review


I am so excited to share this review with my readers.  The book, MIRACLE FOR JEN, was written by Jen's mother, Linda Barrick.  Linda tells the story of how their family was involved in a tragic accident. Their minivan was hit head on by a drunk driver, wreaking havoc on everyone inside the van.  Linda, her husband, daughter (Jen), and son were all injured.  Her daughter Jen was the worst off.  She was not expected to live through the night.  But miraculously she did survive the night!  And she is alive today telling her story all across the world.  Their family are Christians with ties to Liberty University, and Linda talks about the thousands fo people praying for her daughter while she recovered from her traumatic brain injury.

The thing about brain injuries is that they take so long heal from.  A lot of times the person may look perfectly normal, but their brain is not functioning properly.   I believe that waiting to heal from an injury like this is the hardest part.  While waiting for her daughter to heal, Linda talks about the raw emotions she was feeling at the time.

"Later that day....was the first time I could remember being by myself since the accident.  Overcome with emotion, I shut the door to Jen's room and collapsed on the floor at the top of the stairs.  I got on my face and confessed my thoughts to the Lord.  I didn't know what else to do  As I lay there, I didn't hear an audible voice in the room, but I heard GOd speaking to my heart.

Linda, do you love Me as much as you love Jen?

Lord, You know I do!

In that instant I realized that at the root of our greatest fear is often something we love more than God.  I didn't want to love Jen more than I loved God.  I didn't mean to do it, but my priorities said otherwise.

Then you have to stop being consumed with trying to fix Jen.  I don't want you to be consumed with anything else but Me.  I want to be your number one obsession.
Jen is mine.  You have to let go and trust Me."

And that is what this book is all about.  Letting go and trusting God's perfect plan.  This book is a great reminder that His ways are not my ways and His plans are often not my plans.

I was given a copy of this book from Tyndale publishing as part of their Tyndale Blog Network.  The opinions are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment